Wednesday, July 22, 2009

4th of July

I love our country and despite what our current President thinks it is the greatest place to live. I love the 4th of July and everything that comes along with it- the food, the family/friends, and of coarse the Fireworks! It has been a while since we have been in Utah for the fourth of July and so we made the most of it. We got up early to see the Hot Air Balloon launch at 6am. We went with Grandpa Les and met up with Mike's brothers Dave and Danny and their families.
I love hot air balloons! It was the coolest thing to she 23 balloons start to fill up all round you and then take off within a few minutes. I loved every minute of it. I just wish Maggie would have loved it as much as I did. I forgot that the balloon is a little loud and has a big flame when it starts to take off. Maggie is not so keen on Fire or loud noises. I think it stems from a week of our fire alarm going off at all hours of the night by itself (had to rewire all of them -but that is another story). When the first balloon started the gas blaze, Maggie froze with her hand to her mouth and started to cry. She didn't relax down until they has all started to take off and were not so close to her. Then she stated, " I like them they are my favorite. I'm not scare now." Once they were up off the ground she was cool with them. I guess it will be a while till she is ready for a ride in one.

After the Hot Air Balloons we headed up Provo Canyon and had breakfast with most of Mikes family: Dave and Linda, Danny and Nicole, Kevin and Natalie and all the kids. It was fun to have pancakes out side and we had all the kids sit on a barrier by the river for a picture. Now there were 11 kids all but three of them are 5 and under. It was a challenge to get them to all look up at the same time let alone smile. I wish I could have been a bird in the tree watching as 8 adults tried to get all the kids attention in their own way. It was pretty funny. I can't wait till Paul and Elizabeth come out next and we try to get all 20 something kids to smile at once in a family photo. Fun Times.

After playing and pictures we headed up the canyon to Bridal Veil Falls to see the waterfall. It was a beautiful day and the water was cold. I have always loved waterfalls and this one I have seen since my whole life as we would drive the canyon. I am always so amazed how it never runs out of water.

We had tried to get Maggie to take a nap all day. We thought she would sleep on the way down the mountain in the car. She didn't. We put a movie on and she didn't fall asleep until 30 min before we were going to leave and go to Dave's house to swim. We let her sleep an extra 30 mins and then woke her up to go. She wanted to swim so bad but was too tiered. She was already to go in. Mike took her in and she through a huge fit, she wouldn't go in and she wouldn't take off her floater. So out she came and she ended up sleeping another 30 mins on Mikes Shoulder floater and all.
After a few more winks she was back in the pool swimming like a fish. I was amazed at how well she did. In the bathtub she gets so mad and upset if she gets water in her face, eyes or if we try to wash her hair. There were about 8 cousins in the pool with her, all older. She was getting splashed and wet and didn't care. She had a blast and wouldn't come out. She was the last one out after 2 hours of swimming.

We ended our 4th of July like all other true American's -FIREWORKS. Once again, fire and loud noises just aren't Maggies things. She was even afraid of the sparklers. Oh well the other kids had fun. We could see the city's big firework show from Dave's house (well the neighbor's driveway) and Maggie liked those as they were not loud.

We all had a great time with the family just hanging out talking, playing hoops, and eating. The all American holiday, we even had homemade rootbeer to top it off!

No comments: