Thursday, January 20, 2011

Scared Happiness

I got a call at work from Mike.  I pick up the phone and Maggie is sobbing on the other end.  The conversation went a little something like this:


"Sweetheart, what is wrong?"    

"Daddy scared my Happiness away!"   

"What?"

"Daddy scared my Happiness away.  
I woke up happy and now I'll never be happy again! 
You need to come home right now!"

"Oh sweetie what did he do to scare your happiness away?" (trying to keep from laughing as it was too cute and funny and sad all at the same time).  

She proceeds to tell me how Dady had scared away her happiness but all I heard is a whole bunch of unrecongnizable words and sentances full of tears and frustration.  I try to hold it together as I can hear Mike just laughing hysterically in the back ground so I know it isn't really that bad just a Drama Queen moment.

Then all of a sudden....
"DADDY IT ISN'T FUNNY!" blast through the phone.  

Ok People, we are DEFCON 1, DEFCON 1 people.  She is ready for lift off.  I talked sweetly to her and try distractions like what she did in school but it keeps coming back to her happiness and everything that wasn't good in the last two years including Disneyland and how she didn't get to go (my child has a memory like an elephant- she never forgets) and how she will never find her happiness.  I continue to talk and keep my chuckling to a whisper so as not to offend her as daddy had.  After 3 or 4 minutes of talking, she finally calms down and says something about how if she went on a bike ride that might help her find her happiness. Great dad will take you.  I give her big phone kisses and hugs and hang up to all my fellow nurses at the desk with me just laughing.
"I wish we could have taped that conversations.  It was so funny!"

The rest of the day we just laughed at the sweet phrase,  " Daddy scared my happiness away"

SO you want to know how he did it?  Come to find out when Maggie woke up from her nap Mike was feeding Max.  She asked for some popcorn which he said yes, then some hot chocolate, which he also said yes to but she would have to wait a few minutes till Max was done eating.  She then demanded that he put on a movie for her right now, which he said she needed to ask nicely and she would also have to wait till Max was done.  That did it. The final straw that broke the camels back.  She just fell apart.  I don't know how the scare part came into it.  Mike said he started laughing as this is something we are trying instead of getting mad, which just made everything worse.  She wanted to talk to me so he let her call. Mike said he was almost on the floor when she said that to me he couldn't stop laughing.

Don't worry, Our little Drama Queen did find her happiness again.  By the time I got home a few hours later, it was like her happiness had never been scared.

2 comments:

Mike and Risa said...

Dude, if that story doesn't make you think parenthood is awesome, I don't know what will. So funny!

Laine said...

Oh, I love it!