I have been thinking a lot the last few days about happiness. Worrying about those I hold dear and their happiness. Praying that they will be given answers to prayers, or have some divine intervention to help them find their way. I have thought about the chance that we may always be a family of three and not more. I have lost faith in our government and thought about what they are going to screw up next. I have seen those I love make choices in their lives doing what t they think will bring them happiness, knowing full well that it will only lead to sorrow. I have worried about Maggie and the type of person she will become. Will she be happy? Is she happy? Is Mike happy? Am I happy?
With all these thoughts running through my mind lately I have found it very taxing. I have found it easier to find fault in those around me. I have been quick to be offended when no offense was meant. I have been quick to judge, and maybe even slow to forgive. All of which makes it even harder to be Happy!
Then this morning, Mike and I were watching Monk. It is one of our favorite TV shows. For those of you who don't know who Monk is, you have missed out. The basic background is that Adrien Monk or the defective detective as they call him, was a police detective until his wife was murdered and he had a breakdown. This left him heartbroken, miserable, and barley functional due to OCD, but makes him a brilliant crime solving machine which he uses to help the police department solve crimes as a freelancing detective. For a cop show it is clean (monk wouldn't have it anyother way), light hearted, and funny. We love Monk even with all his issues.
Anyway, "So heres what happened"....(one of Monk's catch phrases) . Monk was talking to one of the other Policeman named Randy, who is always happy even when people make fun of him (not always the smartest cop on the block). Monk asked Randy how he does it (it being, being happy and finding good in everything). Randy said that one day he was having a very bad day, people making fun, hurting him, you know the kind of day. Anyway he saw a bumper sticker that said 'Choose to be Happy!' So he did. Randy went on to tell Monk that we are the only person that can make us happy and it is a choice we have to do it. It isn't something that just happens. If you choose to be happy it doesn't matter what people do to you. Here you see two lives. Randy that doesn't let things get him down and chooses to be happy even when he has every right to. And then there is Monk. Nothing anyone does is ever good enough, he isn't good enough, nothing is good enough. He hates to be touched, he can't show emotion good or bad. He is scared of everything, and doing everything. He want everyone else to be miserable like him. He has chosen to be miserable and just won't let himself be happy because of something bad that happened to him. Now I'm not belittling the situation, just pausing to look at the outcome of choices. Mr Monk has chosen to be unhappy and Randy has chosen to be Happy.
One little statement on a TV show made me start thinking today. Chose to be happy! I have known many Monks in my life, and I have known many Randys in my life. How about you? Whom do you want to be around? I know my answer.
This summer some friends of our lost their 16 year old son to carbon monoxide accident. We were sick for our friends and devistated that such a wonderful, friendly, good kid would have such a short life. I was anxious to see how these friends reacted as I have never see them be unhappy or ungrateful. In the midst of their sorrow they chose to be happy. Making comments like isn't this a beautiful resting place? I wanted him to see the mountains. At the end of the funeral, they invited everyone back to the church for Pizza saying with a laugh that they knew that their son wouldn't have wanted funeral potatoes (a staple for all LDS funeral lunches). I marveled at them and their strength.
How many times in our lives are we faced with trials, situations, or just plan crape? What has your choice been? I'll be the first to say that I haven't always chosen to be happy. I'm kind of nervous to be happy as that is when it seem that bad things happen. So I'm going to try it out and choose to be happy this month for thanksgiving, and hopefully for my life, as a way to show my gratitude for the things I have been blessed with. I know I am just asking for it, but I don't' want to be Monk (all alone in self pity), I want to be Randy who is happy and loving life.
So come on, join me. Who do you want to be? It's your choice!
Saturday, November 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Very well said Mary! It is a choice, and sometimes it is a hard choice. But when we make the choice to be happy we are able to see all the blessings around us, and we have all been given so much! I sure love ya!
Nicole
What a great post! I'm right there with you. In reading through my past posts I've noticed that I'm really negative at times, then I snap out of it and life gets better. It really is a choice. Thanks for this, I love it.
I want to choose to be happy too. Thanks for the great, inspiring blog post! :)
Post a Comment