Saturday, August 14, 2010

August 14 is a very important day.

August  14, 2006 we got a call from Kelsey asking us to be Maggie’s parents.  It was such an amazing day.  We really didn’t have an idea.  Our case worker said she needed to talk to us and set up a phone meeting with Mike a few days later.  That day she told us she had someone who wanted to talk to us and ask us a question.  Kelsey then asked us if we would be the parents of her baby girl.  I still remember that day and running into the same room as Mike in unbelief with tears in my eyes.  

Fast forward to August 14, 2010 we meet Chelly the birthmom that contacted us just a few days earlier.  We were nervous but very excited.  It was amazing.  It felt like I knew her the minute I hugged her.  We headed to the park where we talked and visited getting to know each other while Maggie and Mike occasionally played.  It felt like I was hanging out with and old friend catching up after a long time away.   

Chelly was so good with Maggie.  Maggie just loved her.  Chelly brought candy necklaces to make and we all had fun making them. 

Chelly let Maggie feel the baby move which I just thought was so cute. 


 After an hour or so of getting to know each other, Chelly told Mike and I that she would love for them to be a part of our family and have us be the parents of her little boy (she found out just two days before that it was a boy).  What Joy filled my heart as I hugged her again.  "I would love to share being a mom with you!"

As we were going to dinner, Maggie turned to Chelly and asked, "Is that baby going to be our baby?"   Chelly turned to her and rubbing her belly said, "Yes, you are going to be a big sister!"  Maggie's eyes got big and she just smiled huge!

We went to Old Chicago for dinner.  Maggie of course wanted to sit by Chelly.  Things were going good when all of the sudden Maggie spilled her pop.  Across the booth it feels like the next minute of two are in super slow motion.  Chelly is trying to get up off the booth as pop is flowing all over and under her.  Maggie is on the verge of crying as her pop is all gone.  In super slow motion I jump up and get Maggie out of the booth and then try to help Chelly how had a hard time getting in the booth due to the close proximity of the table to the chair and a 34week pregnant belly.  Chelly is laughing so hard I couldn't help but start laughing too as I'm sure we were such a sight to the other's dinning in the area.  Maggie starts to laugh and Mike is off finding someone to help clean up the mess.  Chelly turned to me and said "It felt like my water broke!"  We both busted up laughing again.  We headed to the bathroom to clean up.  As we were still laughing and talking in the bathroom as we cleaned Maggie and Chelly both up a women comes in and says "what a mess.  That is going to be soo sticky.  At least you are laughing about it."  I turned to her and said "Well you can laugh or you can cry, we choose to laugh!"  It is now a funny memory we will tell our son about the first day we met his birthmom.  

It was such a great day and so hard to say good-bye to Chelly that night.  We got a picture that evening with our newest family members and gave lots and lots of hugs.  Mike, Maggie and I got to feel the little guy one more time before going. 

As we headed home we decided to call Kelsey and thank her for this special day 4 years ago.  She was so excited when Maggie added "I'm going to be a big sister!"  Tears flowed as we told Kelsey all about Chelly and how we wanted her to be the first to know.  How could we be so blessed to have two such great birthmoms?   Maggie got to tell the rest of the family over the next two days.  It was so fun to call again and tell everyone.    

August 14th is now a very important day in the Larson Family.

No comments: