We wanted to spend a little more time with Chelly so we headed out to a park close by. We (Maggie Chelly, and I) painted princess sun catchers and just talked while Mike stretched out and just enjoyed the company. There were now bathrooms there and when Maggie started doing the pee pee dance, our only option we had was well I hate to say it was one of three port-o-potty.
The first attempt failed as she got a whiff of "EAU DE TOILET" and she magically didn’t need to go anymore, we didn’t even make it inside of one. After 5 more minutes and the pee pee dance getting more dramatic, I knew that this was going to be fun, something to tell her therapist later. I picked her up screaming trying to get away and headed 20 feet away. I opened the door and she saw the toilet. She froze. “Someone forgot to flush it! Why is it blue!” she screamed. I explained how it didn’t flush as I am pulling down her pants. “Just be a big girl. I promise I will hold you and it will be ok!” I tried to comfort her as I lift her up to put her on the seat. She arches and cries "I don't want to be a big girl" as she is kicking and hitting. I just kept my cool quietly and calmly talking in her ear encouraging her to just hurry and do it so we can get out of there, all while smelling the fumes from the back. “I won’t let you fall in. I promise. Just be a big girl.” She finally calmed down and started peeing. "What is that sound?" "It's your pee." We laughed as she listened to her pee land about 2 feet below. I was so proud of her! She did it! She couldn’t wait to tell Dad and Chelly who gave her high fives all around. We laughed about how traumatic it was and how I hoped we weren’t going to have nightmares about it that night. (Unfortunately we did- Maggie woke up crying “I don‘t want to be big” over and over again. Poor thing! We all have to do hard things in life.)
Saturday, August 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I don't wanna be big either!
Oh Sherri you crack me up sister!
Post a Comment