This week started out like all the others in the last two years, nothing special. I opened my e-mail Sunday night Aug 8, 2010, just like I do every night, only to find something there that has never been there. A different kind of couple contact. What is this I thought as there was no title just the words “Couple Contact” in the subject line. I guessed it had to be from the LDS adoption website, but I checked our contact number just to make sure. As I read it I turned to Mike.
“Um, we have a contact from the LDS site. I don’t know how to take this.”
I read it to him. It was a little vague, a birthmom named Chelly was telling a little about her situation and how she felt that adoption was the right choice for her and her baby. She didn’t know what she was having but that it was due September 26th. She didn’t say anything about a caseworker, or her intention like “I want you to be the parents” just simply said “your family has stood out to me for certain reasons.” After so many scams and no responses from sent e-mails on Parent Profiles (another web site we have been paying to publish our profile) I didn’t know how to take this.
I asked Mike, “Do you think it's a scam?” "I don't know" He said.
We had decided long ago to treat all contacts as though they were real true wonderful birthmoms, but keeping in mind that they may not be, being careful about giving too much info. I quickly sent back a reply, thanking Chelly for contacting us and asked her what state she lived in and if she had been working with LDSFS or not. We asked about her family and some other questions probing for info. We wished her luck with the doctor as she was finding out what she was having. It was basic but heart felt.
I sent it off and didn’t think twice about it. The next day we were at the police station getting our fingerprints for our background check and I called the agency to ask a question about it. Our case worker Kelly gets on the phone and says something that changed my life forever….
"So you got an e-mail!”
“Yah, (Short pause) how did you know? (Short pause again) Is she one of yours?”
"Yes"
“No way, It was so vague that we didn’t really know what to think so we thought we would get more info before contacting you. So tell me!“
“Well, I can’t tell you much, as she wants to tell you everything, but she is awesome and You will love her, any questions?”
“Uh, like a thousand but I will wait and talk to her first.”
Here I am sitting in the waiting room of the sheriff’s office surrounded by who knows what criminals (ok sorry that was very judgmental of me, and looks can be deceiving) finding out that we have nibble or a bite on our profile. Finally after 2 years, SOMETHING!!! I had ALMOST given up hope! I was so excited and just wanted to jump up and down with joy but was afraid the sheriff would arrest me. Instead, I just squealed with delight on the inside and couldn’t stop smiling at Mike. Then I felt so dumb for asking about what state she lived in and the whole think about working with LDSSF.
The whole rest of the day I kept checking my e-mail like every 30 minutes hoping she had e-mailed us back. I kept my laptop open to my g-mail account just hoping a letter would pop up. Finally late that night a response came and I was gitty. Chelly was surprised that Kelly hadn’t said anything to us but was happy to answer questions. We started e-mailing back and forth and within two days,we decided to meet on Saturday. We really like her already just from the e-mails. Kelly has kept us grounded by saying things like IF she chooses you or If she places, and she only has you but she is keeping her OPTIONS OPEN. No one had said “She has chosen you!” . We decided not to tell anyone about her. We wanted to keep Chelly to ourselves until after we met her. I think this was one of the hardest things I have done. Of course people at work choose this week to ask “how’s the adoption thing going”, or “any news?”. I purposefully didn’t call my sister or my mom the whole week. It has been painful. The only thing that keeps me going is the thought that I want Kelsey (Maggie’s birthmom) to be the first to know that Maggie’s going to be a big sister, if and when it happens. So Saturday is the day. Our first date with our potential birthmom.

No comments:
Post a Comment