Friday, January 1, 2010

Pukey New Year - Home at Last

Why is it that when you are trying to beat a snow storm and bad roads that this is the time your child comes down with something and pukes? Puke Happens! After a great visit with only a little cough and stuffy nose to show for being around sick family members and friends. We woke up New Years day with good news the storm hadn’t come in like they said and we had a window of opportunity to get home or we would be there for a few more days. We jumped in the car and headed up to Heber to get the rest of our stuff and Fox the dog. Five min out from grandmas house Maggie started the rainbow yawn. The first one (yes I said first) wasn’t much in fact I thought it was just some of her reflux plus nasal congestion that had made it happen. Then like 5 min later… Mom I’m going to throw up again” I grabbed a shopping bag just in the nick of time telling Mike to pull over. We gave her some pepto as it didn’t seem like she was sick and she did eat a lot of candy and crap all night for new years. We got to Heber with out any more problems. Packed the car and headed out. We stopped in Park City to get lunch as we second guessed stopping in Evenston encase Maggie was asleep (which was a good call by the way). It had been hours since the first incident so we got her a hamburger and milk. Ten minutes outside of Rawlins, after her being good the whole time, IT happened. Of course I couldn’t find a bag to save me. Poor Fox I think he new it was something bad as he moved quick! Luckily we had her blanket and the small subway bag. We stopped in Rawlin at the McDonalds and cleaned her up and the car. Mike snuggled with her while I cleaned up the back seat and her car seat in Freezing cold temperatures of WY not to mention Rawlins were it is always windy. I got Fox out of the car and gave him some water in his bowl. When I was done cleaning up I went and picked up his bowl and guess what was in the bottom? No not Puke, ICE. His water had already started to freeze. Ok, I knew it was cold, but not that cold. No wonder my fingers felt like they were ready to fall off. For the rest of the way Maggie was begging for Food and Juice. Mean mom and dad that we are would only give her crackers and sips of water. She acts like nothing happened. All I have to say after this experience is I will never go on another road trip without my big bag of baby wipes and peppermint essential oil (covered the smell great not to mention helps with upset tummies). What a way to end the trip. I guess I’m glad that we did go home and didn’t have to deal with this at the grandma’s houses. It’s bad enough at your own house and car but when it is at someones house it just makes it a whole lot worse.

So after a little over two weeks we returned home to our own beds We and our credit cards are in much need of a good rest. Happy New Year!

No comments: