Monday, April 12, 2010

Girls Day at the Denver Aquarium

After days of helping my mom finish a project, more on that later, we picked up Sherri and Christina and headed to Denver for a Girls Day.
Maggie and I just recently visited the Denver Aquarium and couldn't wait to share it with Grandma.
We left just a little later than expected, car seat troubles. That bigger car Mike has been bugging me to get is looking better and better, so when we pulled up to the Aquarium a little after 10a.m. we were surprised when not one, not two, but three school buses were parked outside with a hundred or so excited elementary kids waiting to go inside. Oh dear I thought to myself this is not going to be fun. We hurried and went inside to find more of them even more excited then the ones outside. The noise was almost deafening in the big open spaces and it was hard to hear each other. We tried to take our time but moved with the crowd. When we made it 3/4 of the way through, it wasn't as noisy or crazy. Despite the craziness, we were having a good time.


We talked with one of the volunteers who told us to come back after lunch as the school kids were only there in the morning. As it was close to lunch we decided to go find something to eat. We headed out to find a place to eat and decided we would try the aquarium's restaurant.


It was so cool I wish I would have taken more pictures. It was to make you feel like you were dinning under water. They even had an aquarium the whole length of the restaurant wall that had hundreds of fish and two scuba divers to interact with the fish and the kids.
The food was good and when we were finished...
the school kids were gone.

We started at the end and decided to work backwards so we could see what we had missed. They have an area where Sting Rays swim around and you can touch them, or better yet, feed them. It was hard to get them close enough to touch so we bought some bait. I went first and I must say it was an experience. Their mouths are on their belly so they kind of come up over your hand to get the fish sticking out of your knuckle. It was a creepy and cool all at the same time. Sherri did it a few times and we decided to let Maggie do it as she wanted to. I wanted to film it (first mistake - hello mom, take care of your child), and Christina helped her (2nd mistake - Christina didn't even want to do it by herself). Everything was good, then a huge Ray came up and scared Maggie to death as it had to come up out of the water to get to the fish in her fist just and inch in the water. She cried and was scared. After reviewing the tape I noticed she was looking at a little Ray that had just past her and turned just in time to see this huge Ray coming up out of the water to "eat her". I was thinking "oh great, if the dragon movie a few days before wasn't enough, now we have this to have nightmares about."



After a good hug and some reassurance she was O.K. I told her I wouldn't let her do anything that would hurt her. Maggie was back and ready to see more. We went and saw the Shark tank. Even though they are big and scary with pointy teeth,
some how they look so majestic and peaceful and hypnotizing in a way as they swim. I could sit and watch them swim all day.

Maggie loved the big circle windows on the floor over the fish, this time and wasn't afraid of them at all. She started doing head stands on them.

The Second time around the aquarium it was much funner.
We were able to spend more time at each exhibit.



We came to the big aquarium and this huge sea turtle swam up to were Maggie was and she thought that was sooo cool. We laughed and called him Crush after the sea turtle in the movie "Finding Nemo".
Maggie looked him over real good, then she started to give him kisses
(though the glass of course).
Oh my gosh, can you say cute!! The turtle loved it and came up and kissed her back.I have never seen any animal interact like this. I am so glad that I had a camera.

Eventually we got to see the Tigers. Yes, I said Tigers. Why an aquarium has Tigers I have no idea. With all the kids making so much noise in the morning the Tigers had hid, but now that it was quiet they were out and playful.
The habitat is very cool with real fish in the water, so the tigers can jump in the water with the fish just like in the wild. For some reason I just think that is so cool.
I have never been so close to a Tiger. There was only a very thick piece of glass and wire above it to the ceiling. At the Zoo they are always far away and asleep.

After a long day at the aquarium we were tired and warn out.
We even found Nemo and Dory, so we headed out.

Maggie got a little jumping time at the jump house outside that was free for the kids
before we left. It was packed this morning with the school kids. We took some pictures with our favorite ocean sponge, who lives in a pineapple under the sea.
And we headed for home.
What a fun enjoyable day we had together at the aquarium.
It is my new favorite place in Denver.

No comments: