Thursday, April 22, 2010

Let's Go Fly A Kite

The last week has been cold and rainy. We have gone for a few walks in the rain with our umbrellas or "sunbrellas" as Maggie calls them. Yesterday wasn't rainy in fact other than the wind it was nice all day while we were at church. So after dinner, while Mike was home teaching, Maggie and I took advantage of the windy spring day and went to the park up the street to try out Maggie's kite. We found out it was much more windy at the park then at home and colder to. We opened up Maggie's kite to find that it was a little different then the ones I grew up with. Instead of having sticks or poles to hold it open, you blow it up. It is some kind of balloon kite hybrid. I got it on clearance last year at Wal-mart for $2.00 thinking it would be perfect for this year. It was Maggie was so excited she could hardly wait to put it together.
I remember going out in the spring as a child to the field up the street and flying my kite for hours. I would get it so far up in the sky that it was a speck. I would lay on my back and hold the string and let the wind do the rest.

Well, we didn't have that kind of experience, like I had hoped. However, we had a lot of fun running back and forth trying to get the kite to go higher. Maggie just wanted to chase it at first but then she was brave and held on to it and ran. After the first time she was hooked and only stopped to catch her breath, darn childhood asthma- hope that she grows out of it soon! I guess you get what you pay for on kites as it didn't stay up long and only if you were moving and sometimes not even then.


We played for about a half hour taking turns at running and then it started to rain. We walked home in the cold rain with Mickey following us on a short line talking about how fun it was. We ended our fun time with hot chocolate and a big bowl of popcorn to warm up.



I just wish my camera battery wouldn't have died on me. Oh well we got a few cute shots. It was such a good day and so fun to see Maggie experience something new.

No comments: