Sunday, October 17, 2010

Placement day

Today is a day with much trepidation. that I have waited for and feared.  Today we go pick up our sweet son and bring him home.  Mike and I both remembered how hard of a day it was with Maggie's placement, it was one of the hardest days of our lives. It truly is a bittersweet day filled full of love and sorrow, but joy and happiness too. Unless you are an adoptive parent you will never fully understand this.

We arrived to the agency first and got to meet a very amazing lady, and adoptive mom, Connie.   She is a professional photographer and had wanted to take pictures for us.  She hadn't been able to make it to the hospital so she came to placement. It was a little weird at first to have her taking pictures but I think it kind of  helped break the waters so to speak as it was all about taking pictures for about 20 minutes not about the big elephant in the room.  Corrine did a beautiful job and I know Chelly and us will both cherish the pictures for a long time!! 


Here are just a few.  I will post more seperate as I couldn't pick!








After Pictures we headed inside. Since Chelly had already signed papers we stayed together and just chatted and talked for a while.  We exchanged gifts and were both touched by the thoughtfulness of them.  Chelly gave Mike a book Titled "Why a son needs a Dad" 100 reasons. Chelly told him that the 100th reason was one of the reasons she had decided to make and adoption plan for her son.  It reads:

 "A son needs a dad because without him he will have less in his life than he deserves."

Mike was deeply touched by this gift.



We gave Chelly her Hippo that Sherri had made.  Sherri made one for Maggie and Kelsey and it was the only thing I asked of Sherri  was if she would make another one for Chelly and baby.  

She makes one for the birthmom and one for the child.  That way they have something to hold and love and remember each other. 

This was so different than Maggie's  placement as they came straight from the hospital. We also had a necklace I found with two hearts overlapping each other as Adoption is about Love.   We cried we hugged we talked and cried a little more.  Chelly introduced Gabe to all of us individually sharing her thoughts about each of us. She taught Maggie about pinky promises and made her made one with her to be the best big sister and to love her little brother and care for him.   Mike and I were so touched as she talked about Mike.  She told Gabe that Mike had a special gift called the Priesthood and that this was something she wanted for him very badly to have and someday he too could have it.  I realized in that moment that all my questions to Heavenly Father of why I was to be this little boy's mother were for nothing, for it had been about Mike. 
He was suppose to be this little boy's Daddy, it had very little to do with me.  Again I marveled at Chelly's love, strength and courage.  

A few last pictures with Grandpa Willie and Grandma Julie, and then it was time. 

Chelly took some time by herself and our angel. She came out and looked at me and I knew by the look in her eyes that she knew this was the right thing for him.  As she placed him in my arms once again my heart broke and sang as I hugged this sweet amazing daughter of God and thought of her sacrifice.  


We hugged and cried and whispered promises and thanks to each other.  It was a beautiful moment that is etched in my heart and mind forever.  We walked Chelly and her folks out to the car and gave one last hug and waved "see ya later" (as we don't say good bye). 


Mike and I still had to sign all our papers.  It was great as we had read them weeks before and having done this with Maggie we kind of knew the run down.  As we were signing the very last paper, music came from the other room.  The singles ward that meets in the building started to sing "Be still my soul". 

The Spirit just poured into the room.  My heart was full as I knew that the Lord had had a hand in all of this.  The spiritual experience I had been praying for for the last two months came with such power I knew this little boy was our son.  Tears fell down our faces as we just listened and felt the love of the Lord. 



We pulled ourselves together and after a quick snack, and a few pictures.....


Us with Kelly our case worker.


We were finally headed home!

As with Maggie we welcomed Him home with a party to meet his family. As our family lives out of town and only Rheid, Sherri, Christina, and Carolyn were able to be here, we had our ward family and close friends come to meet him.  The House was decorated inside and out.  There was no doubt we had a baby with dozens of balloons out on the yard.  



 
We introduced Fox to the newest member of our family.  He gave his lick of approval, just like he did with Maggie. 

Before everyone came over we introduced Uncle Rheid to his newest nephew.   

 
One of my best friends Christal made the cake and it was as delicious as it was beautiful.

We had a great time.  So great that I didn't get any pictures of everyone there.  We felt so loved and blessed to have such great family and friends that have loved and support us.  After everyone left we got on skype and video chatted with family it was so cool that they could see him even though they weren't here.  I love technology.  Mike's parents in were still in CA from the family trip to Disneyland (that we had to cancel on due to being 2weeks late). So it was the first time they had seen any pictures or anything.

I feel so blessed.  It had been such a different experience from Maggie's placement were we were in different rooms for hours signing papers and came together only for a few moments.  We left filling full and humble.  
It was a beautiful hard day.

WELCOME HOME LITTLE BROTHER

1 comment:

Stacey said...

What a beautiful experience. I bawled through the whole thing. I am so happy for you guys.